Monday 9 January 2012

Confidence is not enough.

I'm 16.
I'm breathing deeply.
I'm on the top diving board.
And I'm facing the wrong way.

I've been learning springboard diving for knocking on two years now, and it's been a soaring success.
I can do amazing jumps, tucks, twists and spins.
I can leap like a gazelle and land like a fish.
But all forwards.
I can't do backwards dives- they're scary.
Really scary.
My coach is patient. Explains to me I can do it- it's all about confidence.
I build up to it, off the side, the 1m, 3m, now comes the big one:
A 5 metre tucked dive, BACKWARDS.
CRAAAAAAAAP
I can do it. Confidence. Believe.
I believe.
I go for it.
Leap into the air. I'm doing it. I am going for it.

Splat.

Under-rotated. Sore back.
Few days in bed.

Life lesson?
Confidence is amazing, but not enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment